The benefits of using water for labour and birth are well known…
Here are the facts…
- Relaxing in a deep pool of warm water can be a wonderful aid in labour. It’s worth having a pool mainly for this reason.
- Using a birth pool helps mothers to manage pain in labour and considerably reduces the need for medical pain relief.
- The buoyancy of the water supports the mothers body weight allowing her to relax more easily and deeply. They can cope better with contractions and also rest more comfortably in between them.
- It’s easier to use upright or squatting positions and move freely from one position to another, than it is on land.
- Being in a birth pool gives mothers an increased feeling of privacy and security. This enhances the secretion of hormones which stimulate uterine contractions and act as natural pain killers and relaxants.
- Studies show that labours tend to be shorter overall when a woman enters the pool at around 5cms. dilation.
- Fewer women need the help of obstetric interventions.
Women who receive less medical intervention generally stay in hospital for a shorter period of time.
The combination of an intervention free birth – with a short hospital stay result in a better experience for mother and baby.
Hospital staff and resources can be employed more efficiently.
Importantly – this results in significant financial savings!
A birth pool is a simple, inexpensive piece of equipment that has a major impact on the quality of care and cost of having a baby.