NINO – Neuroscience for Improved Neonatal Outcomes
What is Nino?
Nino is Spanish for a boy. “El Nino” meant “The Boy” as in the Christ Child, long before the weather system!
But NINO is also about a new way of being born! NINO stands for
NINO strives to improve the birth experience for the mother, but even more specifically for the baby, focussing on the brain of the baby.
What is a good birth?
It is well prepared and
- mum is supported by a doula
- baby is directly in skin-to-skin contact on mum
- baby’s first “Golden Hour” is not disturbed
- baby starts to breastfeed (not mum!)
- baby stays with mum for“first 1000 minutes”
- mum becomes brain-wired for “ferocity” (!)